Search This Blog

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Could it possibly be more beautiful out here?

We are heading back North somewhere pretty far off the coast of Virginia. The water is flat and the sun is glistening off the surface. There are dolphins swimming in the distance, and the are no other boats around us. It is absolutely beautiful. I have to admit, it is already Sunday and I am starting to get a little sad about getting off this ship. I mean, sometimes I'm like "get me off this thing!" but other times, like now, I realize that I would not be seeing anything like this any other way. Honestly, how many times do you just get to sit out in the sun on the water and watch for dolphins? For me, practically never. We haven't been catching a lot of clams and quahogs out here, but the dredge has been pretty clean. We are catching a lot of really cool starfish (they aren't called starfish but they are star shaped they are really cool) and giant shells. I have a pretty big shell collection going right now- I don't know how many more I can fit in my duffel bag before it gets too heavy to carry. The fishermen are telling me that the Georges Bank Leg (Leg 3) is like today all the time- you see a ton of whales and dolphins and its beautiful (aside from the fact that they catch a ton of rocks and break the dredge all the time- which I kind of like because I like fixing it). I am seriously considering signing up for it, though I doubt I can make it work with my Atlantic Salmon work and family/free time I need before going back to school. In the 16 mile steam coming up, we may try some tuna fishing. You know how pumped I would be if I caught a tuna? Or a mahi mahi? Or anything other than a bass?

No comments:

Post a Comment